As you begin your Fall 2015 semester here at Northern Arizona University, you may be on the hunt for a part time job. Maybe you want to have a little extra cash in your pockets for your fun night out, or you have bills and rent to pay. Maybe your parents are pressuring you to get a job to start building up your resume. No matter the reason, searching for a job can be tough. Fortunately NAU Career Development is hosting a Part-Time job fair on August 28th from 1pm-4pm! This event will be free to all NAU students. So if you’re looking for a part-time job while you attend school, this is the place to be! There will be on-campus as well as off-campus jobs waiting to be filled by our very own Northern Arizona University Students! Employers at the Part-Time Job Fair are likely to hire on the spot so be sure to bring your A-game. Here are some tips to help you navigate the PTJF like an expert job hunter!
- Spice up your Resume! You may have a resume on file already, but when was the last time you looked at it? It’s important that your resume uses up to date formatting and make sure it looks neat, organized and easy to read for employers. You don’t want to see any mistakes on your resume. Employers will receive several resumes, so you want to make sure that your resume stands out! One way to do that is to check out our Professional Development Guide which has several tips on job search strategies as well as resume examples! Once you have your great looking resume ready, be sure to print out a few copies and bring them with you to the PTJF!
- Research which Employers will be at the PTJF! If you see an employer that you know you would like to apply to, be sure to research them; know their mission and goals. You will have the opportunity to speak with the employers face to face at the PTJF, and if you know a lot about their company you will leave a great impression! They will be sure to remember you and take a look at your application!
- Prepare your Elevator Speech! Don’t know what an elevator speech is?
“It’s the 30-second speech that summarizes who you are, what you do and why you’d be a perfect candidate.” -Nancy Collamer
- Dress to Impress! You don’t have to show up in a suit and tie. We know college students have a tight budget… however showing up in a nice dress shirt and pants can definitely help with your first impression on employers.
- Be Confident! You got this! This is the moment where you are going to land that job. Have a great attitude going in and create positive vibes. This is the perfect opportunity to network with several employers and land a job at the same time!